Tuesday, August 12, 2014

August 12: The Beginning

Good morning! Today, I start my journey to Uruguay where I will be spending four months on the internship for my Intercultural Studies major at Grace College. I will be serving with SIM (www.sim.org and www.simusa.org). SIM is an international mission organization with more than 1,600 active missionaries from 60 countries serving in more than 60 countries.

Today I am leaving for orientation at SIM's headquarters in Charlotte, NC. I will be there until Monday, August 18th when I will fly to Miami and from there to Montevideo, Uruguay! Thanks to everyone for getting me to this place financially, prayerfully or otherwise! 

Uruguay is considered one of the least receptive countries to the Gospel in the Americas. Historically, it is one of the most difficult fields for missionaries. SIM is assisting the established church that is weakened by an overall mistrust of organized religion and has a need for well established, strong, healthy ministries. It is their vision to work across denominational lines and undergirding current ministries by establishing future children's ministries, developing a retreat and training center, and engaging in evangelism and discipleship.  This is the ministry of which I will be a part.

I will be working with Uruguay Director Andrés Corrales actively participating in the ministry of the local church as well as experiencing how the local church functions. I also will be personally mentored, learning the language, and gaining understanding of the culture.

I would be thankful for your prayer in these ways:
  •  Learning the language well enough to understand and communicate with others.
  •   Adjusting to and thriving in a new and different culture.
  • That I would be a blessing and help to the resident missionaries with SIM.
  • That I would gain knowledge, wisdom and skills that will aid me in future ministry.
  •   That I would grow in dependence and love for my Savior.
You can see updates, prayer requests and answers to prayer by following me here on my blog (nharleyuruguay.blogspot.com).

Nathan Harley

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment