Monday, August 18, 2014

August 18: The Beginning II

Today I leave Charlotte for Uruguay! Being here at SIM has been such a huge encouragement and I have learned a lot. We had STA (Short-Term Associate) Orientation Wednesday through Friday from 8:30 am to 8:30 pm. It felt similar to RA training - a lot of sitting/listening and a lot of information sprayed at me at once! I was one of five STAs in this training. All of the other four are heading to West Africa! It was great building relationships with each one; hearing their stories and hearts for the Lord’s work!

I have been thoroughly impressed and blessed by SIM as an organization so far. I have been floored with the hospitality and friendliness of the people here. I was trying to figure out it if was an SIM thing, a southerner thing or because we were new short-termers. I imagine it’s some of all three, but it has been great to be around so many like-minded Christ-followers. It really has a family feel.


It was incredible to see the strong emphasis on prayer. We prayed A LOT! J On Wednesday and Thursday morning, we joined the SIM staff here for a time of worship and prayer before they got to work and we got to our sessions. It was so cool. The first day we prayed for specific supporters of SIM. Then on Thursday we split up into the different countries that SIM is involved in and prayed for specific requests from the missionaries there. It is evident that SIM sees the power of prayer. Not only do they know that they can do nothing without God’s power, but they also know they can do immeasurable things with God’s power!

I was originally supposed to fly out on Friday evening, but due to schedule changes, I got to spend all weekend here! :P I actually praise God for the extra couple of days to spiritually, mentally, and academically prepare (I have plenty of reading and papers to do). A couple at SIM who ran the STA Orientation were very kind to allow me to eat with them at their house and take me to church! They had been in Bolivia previously for 9 years with their three kids. It was great to talk with them!

My flight leaves at 6 pm from Charlotte. I’ll arrive in Miami 2 hours later and fly to Montevideo, Uruguay around 11 pm. I’ll get there at 9:30 in the morning (they are one hour ahead of EST right now) and then its español time!

This will be my last Stateside post for a while!

Thank you for your prayers!

Nathan Harley

No comments:

Post a Comment